Saturday, November 01, 2008

NaBloPoMo?

Today is the first day of November, also known as National Blog Posting Month. Last year I played along and found it to be kind of freeing, I'm sure the quality of my writing took a bit of a dive, but forcing myself to sit and write on a daily basis about something, anything, without much thought to the actual content was challenging and refreshing. I had to write, so I wrote about things that might have normally slipped through the blogging cracks. Because I am psychotic, I think I'm going to give it another go this year. Yes, KayTar is having surgery next week. Yes, we'll be in the hospital. Yes, I'm in classes that are rather demanding of my time. Yes, I've been feeling a little tongue tied lately. But I'm going to give it a go.

KayTar has been home from school all week in an attempt to avoid germs that might make her miss her surgery next week. She didn't trick or treat last night or go to the festival, because all the candy in the world was not worth also bringing home the germs of a thousand snot-faced kids. She wore her costume all day and we rented a Dora movie and had a relaxing evening at home. The boys went and did the festival and trick or treating thing, stripping and scrubbing when they got back home, just like BubTar has done after school each day. Our house is such WILD AND CRAZY FUN!

In spite of all the germ precautions we've been employing, KayTar has been nursing a cough for a few days. It started as a little thing at Barely Noticeable Level, then it escalated to Need Her Inhaler Every 4 Hours Level, this morning it reached the bonus level, Woke Up To The Sound of Cough, Gag, Vomit Level. She doesn't seem to be sick, though. She isn't snotty or feverish, her energy level isn't down. Her airways are just irritated and overreactive, I suppose. I hope. The alternative is less than appealing. I'd rather not make peace with this surgery, make arrangements with my professors, make arrangements for BubTar, just to have it all canceled and replayed in a week or a month. The handy weather website tells me that the pollen levels are very high today and the air quality is marked as unhealthy for sensitive groups. So the party line remains, KayTar is not sick, just having a spot of trouble with her asthma this week...coupled with fervent knocking on wood. FERVENT. KNOCKING. Surgery is in three days. We can make it three more days. (knock, knock, knock)



In other words, welcome to NaBloPoMo, the Land of Kyla's Unbridled Neuroses.

15 comments:

Gwen said...

Here's some more wood for ya. Healthy thoughts, good wishes for K's surgery and good luck with the daily writing!

motherbumper said...

Hats off and now I keep picturing your front hall looks like a decompression chamber with hazmat-suit wearing folks scrubbing down everyone upon entry. I'm knocking my desk top for you.

Kyla said...

It is more like "Go wash your hands and I'll bring you your play clothes to change into." Though the decompression room sounds so much cooler. ;)

Chaotic Joy said...

Knocking on the desk here too. I will happily (and nervously next week) follow along on your neurosis.

Run ANC said...

You ARE crazy! I was going to do NaBloPoMo, but with going back to work, and starting daycare, and having a shower to throw, I thought I would be too busy. You are doing waaaaaaaaaay more than I am.

And just look at that sweet belly!

Anonymous said...

Kyla, I remember doing that with my oldest when she started school. Change clothes, bath, rinse repeat LOL. When Kaytar is getting enough nutrition in her body that will help ward off the infections I hope! I was always off the wall before my child's sugery but the internets were always good for talking me down and helping me find that peace in my heart. Good Luck this week!!!

Mimi said...

Oooh, I LOVE unbridled neuroses. Looking forward to hearing more from you, my darlin'

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

ok, I'm in too, with the NaBloPoMo thing. It is crazy, especially with all you have going on, but fun, in a good challenging way. I am keeping my fingers crossed for K not to get sick and for her upcoming surgery.

flutter said...

the unbridled kind are the BEST

Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

Unbridled Neurosis- What could be more entertaining?

Bon said...

we're having the same airway reactions waaay up here, though a cold is beginning to rear its head i think...and we don't have the same plans for this week.

hope it all smooths out. yay for you on nablopomo...

Anonymous said...

Oh no, NaBloPoMo! I hate it because my reader threatens to explode and then I get the mark all as read guilt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the sweet girly stays healthy.

Woman in a Window said...

Are you insane? REally, I'm just wondering if this is a comlication you're having? You're playing along with the NoMolifeFo30days? You are crazy!

Hope you and yours escape germs and flu. It's hit us like a Semi head on and it ain't perty.

Debbie said...

i'm so glad we're doing this together.

love you.

Jaden Paige said...

Good luck! I hope everything goes off as planned!

Your trick or treat night sounds like just as much fun, anyway.

:D