Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Still sick.

Last night, I went out to a movie with friends because it had been planned for a while and Josh assured me he'd hold down the fort. I returned home around 12:45 and he told me BubTar was in our bed and his fever was jumping around. I asked if he'd had any medicine and Josh said, "I don't know what to give him." So I took his temperature (102) and gave him Motrin. Josh volunteered to sleep on the couch so that BubTar could have me all to himself. Evidently waking him up at 1am for medicine and adding a slumber party with Mommy into the deal wasn't a great idea. He talked to me almsot all night long. For some reason, fever makes him extremely excitable and animated. It is incredibly adorable. I don't know if he slept at all, I just know the last time I looked at the clock was at 3am, whether I got to tired to hear him anymore, or because he fell asleep too. He woke up (or was still awake at) 6am...I told him it wasn't morning until Daddy got ready for work, which bought me another hour. Once Josh woke up, he turned on our bedroom TV to PBS and I slept some more while BubTar cuddled in next to me watching cartoons. We had a low key day. KayTar had therapy, but largely it was all cuddles and naps and lazing around. BubTar's fever is still hovering around 102 and he went 14 hours today without peeing, which made me concerned about dehydration. We played various drinking games tonight to try and encourage his desire for fluids. "Every time you knock down the block tower, you have to take a big drink." "Every time you say 'Momma' you have to take a big drink." and so on. Tonight he is stealing Josh's spot in bed again, but this time he will sleep more, I think...I hope.

There is something so comforting about this run of the mill illness. It feels good to know that this quiet worry in my heart is universally shared by all mothers. Usually my health-related worries are the kind others cannot easily relate to. Usually when I hold a sick child, it is KayTar and she is in unbearable pain. Usually the worry is so great it threatens to swallow me whole. But this time? It feels normal. I love waiting on BubTar, sneaking in cuddles, and pampering him. I love knowing that this is a situation that I know how to handle. I do worry about him, but it is a still and quiet type of worry. I know that he will be over this in a day or two and life will go on. In a world where so much is unique to us, it is comforting to experience something so common.

Here's the rooster hair Moreena was looking for. :)



11 comments:

Pendullum said...

Hope the flu has passed...
And loved the shots...
What an accommodating sick Bubtar... Not very many would allow for shots to be taken while sick...

Beck said...

Aw, even sick he's adorable. Everyone in blogland is really unwell, and here I'm going to fight off the urge to make a joke about computer viruses.
Get better, Bubtar!

NotSoSage said...

This was a beautiful, heartwrenching post. And a great reminder to be grateful for those moments when you know that your child may be momentarily under-the-weather, but that this, too, shall pass.

Thank you.

Mad said...

Hi back at 'cha. I've lurked here once or twice in the past but always when I was too busy to comment. I love that you played drinking games with Bubtar. I hope he is feeling better soon. I love the pics--in this post and in the one following (KayTar's big walking adventure).

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of just letting it all go and settling in for the rocking and cuddling.

Beautifully expressed, Kyla.

WarriorMom said...

I hope Bubtar feels better soon.

Your post helps to put things into perspective for me. My son has a fever too, and until I read your post, I was down in the dumps about it.

Ben and Bennie said...

I can't believe I've missed your blog! I found you through a comment at Redneck Mommy's blog. I am the father of a special boy. I'm linking to your blog so I can read more about The Journey and your daughter.

Cristina said...

Such a good perspective on illness. I have never thought of it this way. You never cease to inspire me when I read here.

Also, I love how you played the drinking games with BubTar. What a good idea. I hope he feels better soon.

Run ANC said...

I know what you mean about the "quiet type of worry". Strangely, it's kind of (almost) nice to be needed in a situation that you know how to handle. (I hope this makes sense...it's late). Drinking games with Bubtar - now that made me chuckle. I like your approach!

Anonymous said...

I think that my kids somehow pass your kids viruses over the internet. Is that even possible?

Andrea said...

Aw, what a wonderful post. So very insightful.