Friday, July 11, 2008

Limbo...

I left the house at 5 this evening for the airport.

I discovered my plane was delayed.

And delayed.

And delayed further.

I checked on my connecting flight.

Again.

And again.

Both flights were consistently being pushed further back. Atlanta was having some sort of inclement weather.

At last check, I would arrive in Atlanta at 12:47 and my connecting flight would leave at 1:48. I would arrive in D.C. at 3:30am.

I called my (ever so sweet and kind) contact at the National CDF office. And she was so kind and said it was up to me. 3:30 is pretty late and she would understand if I sat it out.

But I thought about the day ahead of me, the march from Union Square to the Capitol. Speaking at the rally. Meeting with legislators. Me! Meeting with legislators. And I decided to hop on the plane and take my chances. I figured I'd never regret giving it a shot, but if I had decided to stay home, I would have always wondered what it would have been like.

We finally boarded the plane, at about 9:45.

We arrived in Atlanta at 12:48.

I check connections. My plane was gone. The other flight to D.C. was canceled. No other flights through the airline were going to D.C. until 4pm tomorrow, which is technically TODAY as I type this.

So I'm sitting in an airport in Atlanta, blogging and waiting for my flight home to Houston in the morning. 2.5 hours down, 5 hours to go.

I still don't regret getting on that plane, because if I hadn't, I always would have wondered. But, am I ever bummed that I won't be in D.C. today raising my voice alongside so many others, all calling out for the same thing, healthcare for the children...your children...my children...ALL children, because the sound of those voices is going to be so very beautiful.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! I would be totally bummed too.
I hope you get SOME rest!
Love, Cori

alejna said...

Oh, damn. How disappointing. Arg.

Becca said...

ARGH how disappointing! I am so sorry.

Kristin said...

You can ignore my "fill me in" email LOL.

What a big fat bummer, Kyla. I'm still proud of you! And glad you've got some more fun stuff to look forward too on your schedule.

Jennifer said...

Oh man! That stinks!! Darn airlines.

ewe are here said...

Ugh. That sucks.

But, like you said, at least you tried... there will be more opportunities and you will jump at them, because you know how important the issue is. You live it.

Christine said...

i'm sorry you missed this opportunity, kyla. but i am so proud of you even trying and wanting to fight for us.

for our kids.

xoxo

Ben and Bennie said...

I gotta think there is a reason for missing that next flight but I'm so damn proud of you for at least trying.

Julie said...

That just sucks. Don't they know WHO was on that plane. The nerve of them just cancelling like that!!! Oh well. Give your babes a big squeeze instead (not a bad consolation prize).

amanda said...

OH Kyla, that so sucks! I am so disappointed for you but know that you will manage to have your voice heard...

natalie said...

Yikes!!! That's so frustrating! I am glad you got on the plane, too, but sad that your voice isn't being heard today.

Girlplustwo said...

Oh, K. damn it.

i really wanted you to get there.

Unknown said...

Kyla this post is so incredibly powerful to me.
I'm glad you got on the plane.
I'm sorry you didn't get to sleep, or make it to DC, but I respect so much that you tried.

~aj~ said...

I am just so bummed that this happened. Good for you for trying anyway!!!

kittenpie said...

I can't tell you how sorry I am that you missed that.