Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Sky Above Ablaze*

Today is a beautiful day. Breathtakingly beautiful. The sort of day that makes you long to be at the park, swinging high into the sky. The kind of day that forces my camera to point skyward rather than at the ankle biters tugging on my pants. A day without humidity or stifling heat. A day with a soft breeze, clear sky, and warming sun. Beauty.






And yet, in the midst of this beautiful day, we are indoors once again. KayTar is having a sensitive day, which seem to be becoming the rule rather than the exception. Last month, she had a solid two week block where we couldn't go outside (even to walk to the car or through a parking lot) without her screaming and clawing her eyes.

Because today is so beautiful, on the way to pick BubTar up from school, I rolled our windows down. Instantly she was screaming and thrashing around in her seat and I had to roll them back up, so she could be safely and comfortably behind the tinted glass. When she is feeling her best, she loves having the windows down; she giggles into the wind as it streams in her window, ruffling her hair and tickling her skin. Today she just isn't quite feeling her best.

Upon discovering the delightful weather this morning, I decided to take the kids to the park after school. I thought we could just stop by on the way home from BubTar's school, spend a little time swinging and sliding before heading home for lunch, but the park just wasn't in the cards for us. If KayTar can't stand the sunlight from an open car window, there is no way she can tolerate it long enough for a jaunt around the park. There will be plenty of other days to be filled with sunlight and swings.

So for today, we'll just admire the beauty from afar.




*bonus points if you can name the song, it is one of KayTar's favorites.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't name the song, but I'll think about it! What does Kaytar think of sunglasses?

ewe are here said...

That must be so hard for her, too sensitive for sunshine.

flutter said...

Oh sweet little baby girl.

She just breaks my heart.

mamatulip said...

I'm glad today is such a nice day in your neck of the woods -- it's shitty where I am.

I wish Kaytar could enjoy the sunshine and that beautiful blue sky in person. *sigh*

motherbumper said...

It's raining but regardless we are stuck inside also - we both are sick.

I'm sorry that she is having a sensitive day, and that these are happening more often (big sigh and big hugs for mom). Soon, soon she will be able to let the sunshine and breezes tickle her, I just know it.

Becca said...

Oh poor thing! I'm so sorry. I hope things get figured out soon so you guys can get some breathing room. Have you tried sunglasses? What about the big kind for skiing?

Christine said...

i love those wonderfully pretty fall days. it is too bad you can't go outside. but like you said--there are many more coming in the future. until then keep the shades wide open.
;-p

Janet said...

Amy Winehouse, Tears Dry On Their Own.

Beautiful pictures, Kyla. I hope you can enjoy a similar day, when KayTar is up to it.

Kyla said...

Yay Janet! You got it. :)

Ben and Bennie said...

We can sympathize somewhat, Kyla. Ben is very sensitive to the Sun as well but he tolerates sunglasses. A child should be able to be outside on a wonderful fall afternoon.

Katie said...

I feel Kaytar's pain, today was beautiful here too and the sun was too much for my migraine sensitive self. Poor girl!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Sorry your little one is having to deal with this sensitivity :(

Kathy Gillen said...

Bummer about missing the sunshine, but your attitude is so positive. You're right there will be other sunny days. OMG...I sound like Annie.

moplans said...

Poor baby and the rest of you not able to enjoy the sunshine.

Aliki2006 said...

Oh, I"m so sorry--we've had days like that. She might still be too young, but our salvation were sunglasses. There was a time when T. wouldn't keep them on, but now she knows how helpful they are. We have pairs stashed everywhere.

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

Oh, you just reminded me of how Scott would scream, "turn the sun down!" and had to wear a baseball cap, always, when outside. I feel for you all, especially on such a gorgeous day.

Junie's Blog said...

Poor Kaytar! This is something else I've learned since reading your blog - I didn't realize she was so sensitive to sunlight on any average given day. I thought it went along with her episodes. Hope she will soon embrace the day again!

natalie said...

I hope tomorrow is as beautiful and KayTar feels up to enjoying some fresh air!

Mad said...

Hey, I just left you some pretty pictures at my place only to discover much prettiness over here too.

NotSoSage said...

He walks away
The sun goes down
He takes the day but I'm grown


Sweet, sweet KayTar. Do you know whether she's getting stomach migraines? Apparently they're common in children with a family history of migraine and they include light sensitivity and stomach issues...I'm sure it's been thought of, but I thought I'd suggest it.

Anonymous said...

And what a pretty view it is.

Hug to the patient mama. Enjoy the view from the window.

Sometimes I don't feel well enough to go to a park on a sunny day, so I sympathize with both of you.

Beck said...

Your poor munchkin.
It's windy and rainy here and my front door just suddenly blew open with a huge bang, which sent the Baby yelping to the kitchen with "Someone's here! Someone's here!"

~aj~ said...

I hope the beautiful weather sticks around a while so you can still enjoy it.

I was also wondering about the sunglasses. You know Adam can't go anywhere without his. I wonder if it would make things any easier for her?

crazymumma said...

sometimes a day just needs to be seen from the inside. It does not take from it's beauty.

kittenpie said...

I love those days, too. How hard, not to be able to share them all the time.

I've been rather enjoying our foggy, rainy weather this week because it's perfect for helping make croup better...