Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Spoiled? Nah...

Saturday morning.
Josh: You know we spoil her, right? She's spoiled.
Kyla: She's a baby! And its positive reinforcement, she asks for it, we give it to her. And its only cookies. Its not like she's signing "Pony" and we're running out to buy one for her.
Josh: What if she signed pony, what do you think we'd do?
Kyla: Well, hippotherapy is really good for these kids...so it would be justifiable...
Josh: Hippos? I thought we were talking about ponies.

Yesterday, at the pediatrician's appointment.
Dr. H: Dr. L called me right after you left on Wednesday, and I had JUST come into an exam room with angry parents who had been waiting because we were running behind. The nurse told me he was on the phone and I told the parents, "I have to take this." And then I talked to him for twenty minutes! But Katie's the priority right now, what could I do?"

This morning, upon fishing KayTar out of the bathroom for the 25th time.
Kyla: What do you want in here? That orange toothbrush? If we buy you your very own orange Aquafresh toothbrush, would that make you happy?
KayTar: *signs happy*

We're on our way to Target for a toothbrush, in case you were wondering.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say buy the hippo! Ohhh, you should get her one of those orange toothbrushes that light up and blink for one minute while the she brushes her teeth. It's a real winner in our house.

Beck said...

Yay, hippo therapy! That's where one gets to ride around on a gentle, sweet-natured hippo. Good stuff.

And my baby is spoiled rotten - there's time enough to teach them life's harder lessons.

muse said...

Wow, a kid who actually _wants_ a toothbrush! lol You blessed woman! ;)

BTW: giggles @ the hippotherapy comment! (men are so cute...LOL)

Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

I will NOT judge. It was my MOM who bought Bugga the pony. Not me!
*PS, thanks for the linky love in your sidebar. :-)

Em said...

You know, G's PT has recommended she take up horse riding ... apparently it is good for rhythm?!

jo(e) said...

When I was a kid, my sister begged for a pony ... and we actually got one. My parents spoiled us with attention and affection, and I do the same with my kids.

None of my kids ever got excited about toothbrushes but my oldest son once had this obsession with umbrellas ...

Andrea said...

Good thing to be obsessed with. My child is obsessed with not brushing his teeth. Ew.

Karianna said...

If only an orange toothbrush were the answer to everything, the root of all joy!

I am so glad you are finding some answers. :)

Bea said...

Funny post. But it is a real dilemma, isn't it? I've worried that we're turning Bub into a monster because when he uses his words to ask for someting, we jump to get it for him! And now I'm trying to help him get his pronouns straight, so when he asks for something I say, "I WANT a cookie" and he repeats it. Maybe we should start adding "please"?