Monday, May 21, 2012

My husband is awesome.

Saturday was our 11th wedding anniversary. We had no real plans...or so I thought! Last year we went to Vegas and I figured we would just do something simple this year and that was okay by me. My parents called me last week to ask if they could take the kids out to their country house on Saturday night, because they've been wanting to give taking KayTar out there a try. I told them I needed to check with Josh and if he was okay with it, it would be perfect since it was our anniversary anyway. My mom said, "Oh, it is? That's right. I forgot!" Josh said he was okay with it, so I knew we at least had a sitter if we wanted to have dinner or see a movie. We had also talked about having brunch on Sunday, but the plans were all a little vague and I thought we would just play it by ear. The boys went to scout graduation on Saturday morning and I worked on getting the kids packed up...packing up KayTar for even ONE night is quite a chore.


After the kids got picked up, Josh said, "Okay, now it is your turn. Pack an overnight bag and wear something that will keep you cool and comfortable." I was totally surprised! In fact, most of my clothes were in the washer and I had to wait for them to finish drying before we could pack and go. I had an idea of where we might be going based on what he told me, but wasn't 100% sure. While I waited on my clothes to finish up, Josh was outside trying to finish the big dog run he had bought earlier in the week. He had been working on it every spare minute since he got it (I did find it odd that he seemed so obsessed with getting it done) and it still wasn't quite done. Now it made since...we needed that kennel so we could go out of town for the night! Dobby cannot be trusted in the yard, he'll escape every time. We put the dog run on the cement so he can't dig out. It was *almost* done, the only part left was wrapping the chain link at the bottom. There wasn't time, so we just pushed stuff around the edges and hoped for the best! We headed out and Josh drove a little bit differently than he usually does to try and throw me off, but I was pretty sure where we were going...and I was right! We went out to Kemah and pulled into a B&B (which I didn't predict). It was right on the water and about a block away from the Boardwalk!

Out our window
After checking in, we headed over to the Boardwalk and spent the afternoon riding rides. It was SO fun. I miss Astroworld so much, but the Boardwalk is a passable substitute. We rode everything (except the little kid rides) and headed back to the B&B for an hour to cool off and exchange keys (there was a mix up) before heading out to dinner at RED Hibachi and Sushi. It was delicious! Josh ordered an appetizer of tempura battered jalapenos stuffed with crab and cream cheese (yum!) and we split the lobster, scallops, and shrimp dish. It was more than enough food, I was stuffed! After dinner, we went back out and rode rides again. SO FUN! We haven't spent a day doing something like this in many, many years. It was perfect.

We went to the top of that and dropped. FUN!



We headed back to the B&B around 11:30 when some of the rides started to close. When we got back to our room, he pulled out a bottle of our favorite wine, the glasses from our wedding (way back when we were too young to drink), and chocolate and butterscotch covered strawberries that he had made the night before. My sister-in-law had texted me to see if I wanted to go out on Friday and I didn't think anything of it, but turns out Josh was sneakily getting me out of the house. He said he had the wine in the fridge for days and I hadn't noticed it! It was a perfect end to a perfect day! I honestly could not have thought of/asked for a better day than he planned for us. I'm still SO impressed by all of his planning and secret-keeping (from him AND everyone else who knew!). I am a very, very lucky girl.
To 11 years and many, many more...


11 years ago, Josh and I were a couple of crazy teenagers getting married. I was wearing blue Nikes under my wedding dress, we were too young to drink at the reception, and we really had NO idea what life held for us...but we knew that whatever it was, we wanted to walk through it together. Best decision ever!

9 comments:

Becca said...

*You guys* are awesome. What a fantastic anniversary and a well deserved break!

Magpie said...

What a great story! So glad for you.

Anonymous said...

How is bubtar now, is he feeling better?

~aj~ said...

Oh Kyla, what a sweetheart that man is! Tell Josh he gets BIG props from me! I just had to tell Matt all of the details and that *hint, hint*, I wouldn't mind a romantic surprise of my own like that someday. :)

Glad ya'll had such a great anniversary. Sorry I'm a few days late with my well wishes!

Anonymous said...

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18597572/2012/05/22/marvel-comics-creates-superhero-in-honor-of-nh-boy

Marvel has a new superhero that has a hearing aid! Just thought I'd pass it on

jo(e) said...

Aw, I'm so glad you had a great anniversary.

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated!) Anniversary you two!
What an AWESOME husband to do that. So glad for you both that you were able to get some fun one on one time!

Anonymous said...

happy anniversary!

Shellye said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Josh was definitely sneaky!!!