Monday, May 14, 2012

Still sick...

BubTar is still sick. Or sick again. But I'm leaning towards still sick. He ran fever Sunday-Friday, seemed okay on Saturday and during the day on Sunday and then last night/early this morning, he spiked a fever again. 103.7. He has been so lethargic today, I don't think he's been awake for more than 30 minutes all day. The pediatrician wanted to see him again today, so I brought him in, but the exam wasn't all that elucidating. His exam was unimpressive; eyes, ears, throat, lungs, abdomen...all clear. He has some swollen lymph nodes, but that is all. She did a mono spot (which was negative) and a CBC (normal WBC (6.2) with a left shift (17% bands, I think). She decided to treat with zithromax, because secondary bacterial infection is most likely, even though the source isn't very obvious. I don't think he has ever been sick like this, so I'm a little worried. He took his first 2 antibiotic pills today and I'm REALLY hoping it makes a difference by tomorrow. He's not eating or drinking well because he is so sleepy and he's spilling some ketones in his urine...if he keeps sleeping like this and not drinking, he might end up needing IV fluids. The pediatrician wants an update tomorrow and if he isn't BETTER by Wednesday, we're going to have to do more aggressive digging to figure this out. Hopefully he will turn a corner tonight and feel a bit better by morning!








6 comments:

Cate said...

:( hope he feels better soon!

alejna said...

That is worrisome. It's so hard when you don't know what you're dealing with. (As well you know...) I hope he turns the corner soon, poor kiddo.

Anonymous said...

feel better soon! Happy mother's day.

dlefler said...

I have to check FB to see how he's doing - I hope he's OK! That is (or was) one heck of a bug - I hope the Zithromax knocks it out cold.

~aj~ said...

I'm so glad he made a quick turnaround last week once he started antibiotics and I hope he's continuing to feel great! Hate seeing his sick pictures...reminds me of all the ones I have of Adam like that!

Shellye said...

Bless his heart! I hope whatever it is doesn't return. I'm also glad to hear KayTar didn't catch it!