Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sniffy tickles

I have this habit of exaggeratedly sniffing BubTar's neck because it tickles him and makes him giggle like nothing else.

Tonight at bedtime, I was cuddling with him while he read his reading assignment to me, and I just couldn't resist the urge to interrupt the story with some sniffy tickles.

I said, "Hey Bub, do you think you'll remember these sniffy tickles when you grow up? The way they make you laugh and laugh?"

He looked at me and said, "Well, I don't know. Will you not give be able to give me sniffy tickles when I grow up?"

I said, "Well, I guess I can, if you want...but you probably won't by then."

He paused for a moment and then questioned, "But if I do?"

I smiled broadly and said, "Sure, buddy. I'll drive to your work every day and give you sniffy tickles at your desk. How does that sound?"

Then he really laughed, I'm not sure if it was the ridiculousness of me giving Grown-Up BubTar sniffy tickles at work or the absurdity of him ever growing up and having a job in the first place. Today his big plans for the future consist of building a Death Star with his friends, cruising the galaxy, and destroying black holes for a living.

We finished our story and I kissed him and tucked him in. Then I came downstairs and wrote this, my eyes full of tears that threatened to spill out out over my cheeks, because tonight I realized that one day my baby, my first baby, will not need our sniffy tickles anymore.

27 comments:

flutter said...

awwww, mama.

F*Lush said...

it will be a long time before he doesn't need your sniffly tickles anymore...hang on to those memories..enjoy every moment...

Jo said...

But only because he will carry every single sniffy tickle you have given him in his heart, and his heart will be so full, he won't need them anymore.
And the best present he will ever give you is a new grandbaby to give sniffy tickles to, and then a great grandbaby. The sniffy tickles won't ever stop, I promise.

Chaotic Joy said...

Today I sat in the nursery at my Bible Study and rocked new babies. And got teary eyed. It all slips away in the blink of an eye, doesn't it. I think one of the best things about blogging is how it makes us stop for a moment and relive those experiences. And record them before they are gone.

Tara Bennett said...

Oh Chloe's Papa does sniffy tickles too and she LOVES it! What a special memory. =)

Vicky said...

In our household, that's called "Snurkles in your neckhole" and I just this past Christmas witnessed my 42 year old brother doing it to our mother - so I think you have a few years left!

I might have to go and snurkle my two now, they are 12 and 8 and still willing victims!

Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

Awwww....

My middle girl when I tell her she needs to stay in her bed says, Forever??? And then I grab her and say "No baby," and I hug and rock her, "not forever."

AJsMom said...

It's not fair to have me in tears with a big ol' slap of reality this early in the morning...why do our baby boys need to grow up so fast?

Anonymous said...

nice pic up there!

Mad said...

And that is why it is so good that the memory of it all has been written down so beautifully here.

Jaden Paige said...

Awww... Hey, don't cry yet, he still thinks he's going to want them for the rest of his life, so I think it's safe to say you have a while before he turns down your sniffy tickles.

I was so laughing about the going to work thing. Wouldn't that be a sight?!

Amy Y said...

I don't want to think about it!

InTheFastLane said...

I have always smelled my babies as long as they would let me. My older two don't let me any more (and who really wants to smell a teenager anyway). I can't still remember when Violet (She must have been around 5) told me "Mom! Quit SMELLING me!" At least i still have one kid that I can smell.

~aj~ said...

When my brother used to sleep on my trundle bed next to me, I'd draw an animal on his back every single night. Guess who snuggled up beside me over Christmas break and wanted an animal on his back at the age of 21?!

Keep giving him those sniffy tickles...he may allow it for longer than you think!

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet - gave me goosebumps.

Sarahviz said...

This post totally reminds me of that children's book "Love You Forever."

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be."

natalie said...

You got me. I'm all teary, too. Why does that have to happen? sometimes the circle of life is just too much for me.

Anonymous said...

I think he might take those tickles and pass them on to his own babies,he'll always need them.

Hugs to you.

Creative-Type Dad said...

That's very sweet.

And I still want to build a Death Star with my friends.

sheree said...

that is so dang sweet!

motherbumper said...

That made me tear up K, dang... beautiful but teary and I try not too think about that kind of thing too much or I wouldn't ever let go.

Julie Pippert said...

Oh you know I know.

beautiful depiction.

(hug)

stan said...

:) endearing to read abt these aspects of parenthood.

Woman in a Window said...

I'm feeling this too. Mine just came home from a birthday party and he's so buzzed about his friends that I'm just fading into the background. Their growing up is just hard sometimes...hard on us, that is.

Mimi said...

Oh. Oh no. Now I'm crying, too.

Janet said...

Delish.

crazymumma said...

thats the rub in having these little beauties in our lives.

they grow.

(but I say save the story for his wedding day!)