Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tuesday/Wednesday

Tuesday:

KayTar missed her first day of school, because she is sick.

I had to drug her up so she would stop vomiting mucus and I could still take her to the feeding clinic to the appointment we've been waiting months and months for.

Found out the kid is losing weight.

We had The Talk about the g-button (feeding tube) again.

I freaked out a little. Talked to a few wise friends and our pediatrician. Calmed down.

Was interviewed for local newspaper.

Went to A&P II, received the dead cat we will be dismembering this semester. Looks just like Peanut.

Came home to child running 104 fever.

Gave requisite meds. Tried to push fluids.

Acquired sore throat.

Washed BubTar's required uniform for today (well after midnight).

Collapsed into an exhausted lumpish heap.

Wednesday:


KayTar missed her second day of school. Was called by the school to make sure we were not no-shows.

Changed exactly one diaper, this morning. Not urine. Diarrhea.

Was in local newspaper.

Went to pediatrician. KayTar had a strep swab, I had quick throat check. There was more talk of g-buttons, weight loss, and illness. Not strep, it's adenovirus. Discussion of getting rid of pesky tonsils.

Checked her diaper incessantly.

Watched hours go by, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17....and counting.

Contemplated whether I will miss class tonight to go to the ER...or go to class and THEN go to the ER. Unless she pees, of course. Do you hear that KayTar? PEE ALREADY!

Checked Bloglines. DEAR GOD HELP ME. Tell me if there is anything I need to know about you, because chances are, I'll be hitting "Mark All As Read." I hate to do it, but free time is severely lacking this week.

Wrote this post.

Checked her diaper again, just in case there was good news before I hit publish.

Reread post.

Checked diaper again. Just in case, you know. DRY.

Hit publish.

ETA: She peed @ the 18 hour mark. Whew. For now.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my... Bless your heart. Praying things calm down for you and the crew. Love Cori

InTheFastLane said...

i hope you get your class in and don't have a trip to the ER. And if that hope doesn't come true, then I will just keep sending positive thoughts your way.

mommamia said...

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Hope you get to class and Kaytar improves remarkably.

Katie said...

That Kaytar and her drama...sucks Kyla, it does.

Hoping you don't have another 18 hour round ahead of you.

Julie said...

Ugh. What a couple of days. I hope hope hope you don't have to go to the ER.

amanda said...

Oh KayTar, you are giving your mommy a run for her money!

Glad to hear she peed (funny what we celebrate!) and hoping she is feeling better soon. On the bright side, maybe they could do the mickey button when they take her tonsils out? She wouldn't need to use it all the time, just those pesky times when she can't tolerate any texture...

Gwen said...

Sounds exhausting and stressful.

Yay for good friends and for a wet diaper.

mamatulip said...

I hope the next two days are much less stressful.

I also hope you get some decent sleep.

Becca said...

Yay for a wet diaper!! I hope she's feeling better soon. Poor little kid. (And for your sake too).

cinnamon gurl said...

Oh Kyla. I hope things get easier very soon!

katrynka said...

I hope she gets better quickly.

I have been reading your blog for quite some time, but I am uncertain if I have ever commented. I have been a pediatric physical therapist for the past 22 years. I guess seeing all that I have, I have a different perspective on the GT/button issue. It can be an amazing help. Imagine having the weight gain issue, the dehydration issue, the getting meds in issue gone from the equation. Obviously it is not a surgery that is taken lightly, no surgery should be. But it is reversible. I have seen MANY of my patients mature past the need for their tubes, and have them removed. I have seen my adult friends with muscular dystrophy get a tube, and then life gets better, because they have enough physical strength and reserves to enjoy life again, and eat for pleasure, not because they have to.

I am not pretending to understand how it feels for your family. Just wanted to let you know a bit of what I have seen over the years.

S said...

Ugh.

Let this be the END of all of the sickness!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad she peed. I don't know how you do it. My heart rate went way, way up, just reading this post. I hope you can avoid a trip to the ER...

~aj~ said...

Oh Kyla, I wish there was some way to clone yourself to keep up with all you have going on. The weekend can't get here fast enough, huh.

So glad KayTar finally peed. I hope she keeps it up.

natalie said...

Perhaps we should all develop a cheer that goes something like this:

Give me a P
Give me an E
Give me another E
What's that spell? PEE!
PEE, KAYTAR, PEE!

moplans said...

that girl really knows how to hold out and make you nervous. Fingers crossed for you all.

painted maypole said...

glad she peed!

Gustav is all the news here, and so far that's not really news, just stressful speculation

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kyla,

There's really not much to say, is there?
(((((HUGS))))) for all the Tars.

flutter said...

Oh little girl, she has GOT to stop dispensing with the heart attacks!

Anonymous said...

I hope things are much better in the Tar household this morning!

Ben and Bennie said...

Went to A&P II, received the dead cat we will be dismembering this semester. Looks just like Peanut.

I'm so sorry for laughing right out loud at this. Almost a snot on the screen moment. I guess it just sort of popped in there unexpectedly.

Anonymous said...

Sending healthy kids and healthy you vibes to your sweet family. Oh, and peeing and gaining weight vibes to Kaytar.

crazymumma said...

nothing major going on with me unless being in my constant state of emotional angst is considered anything new.

18 hours without a pee. i would be pulling my hair out. Lets hope it all goes back to the relative normal and you do not have to wait 18 hours again.

any decisions on gtube?

Christine said...

Oh my goodness. Sending the littlest 'Tar some healing thoughts.

Chickenbells said...

Oh no. I am so very sorry she's feeling so horrible. I was so excited to watch for her to go to school, because she enjoyed camp so very much. I hope that will be a possibility for her soon. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way...

Mad said...

It. Just. Never. Ends.

Still, so glad that the pee preempted an ER trip.

Mad said...

It. Just. Never. Ends.

Still, so glad that the pee preempted an ER trip.

carrie said...

Thinking of you . . .all of you.

sheree said...

not again?!!! Poor kaytar. I am glad she finally tinkled. I hope she gets better asap so YOU can stop stressing, and SHE can go to school.

(((HUGS)))