Thursday, June 11, 2009

First Week of Summer

We've completed half of the first week of Busiest Summer Ever, and so far, so good!

Josh started his summer classes on Monday. He is taking Composition II and a criminal justice course this summer. Since he decided to hop on the school bandwagon after me and because I have 3 million more years of school ahead of me, my class schedules are the priority, but he's found a way to fit a couple in, too. His boss is allowing him to come in later in the morning in exchange of his lunch break, so he can squeeze classes in. When I get home at night, the kiddos are in bed and he's busily studying. It is nice not to be the only person around here with my nose in a book!

I started the first of my two summer classes on Monday, as well. The teacher is roughly my age and a little green, but most of what we are covering is review for me so I think it will be just fine. I'm a little worried for some of my classmates, though, we've just started and a handful of them are overwhelmed and confused already. We have a test next week, as well as every other week, because it is only a 5 week course, after tonight there are only 4 weeks left! Then I start the next one...

BubTar started swim team on Tuesday night. He had a great time. He knows one of the other boys from school and I know his coach because I used to teach her! He's already trying new things in the water and practicing his laps when we go to my mom's house for swimming, and I think he'll really enjoy swim team!

Last night, I had my first volunteer shift in the emergency center at the Children's Hospital. I loved it! I got there early and stayed late, even. It was fun just to be in the ER, but it was even better because we've personally been in that ER several times and having the chance to walk around and try to make it easier on the parents and patients was extremely satisfying. I just did little things; checking in on the families to see if they needed anything, bringing movies, toys, and books to the kids, transporting patients, sitting with the kids if the parents needed to leave the room, checking in at the various nursing desks to see if they needed anything, that sort of thing...but it was really wonderful. The nurses were great and seemed to really appreciate it. When I left one of the nurses said, "My patients were better cared for because you were here tonight." I'm already looking forward to my shift next week, though my feet were really beat up last night (I didn't know you could get blisters this size!) and I need to fix the footwear situation first.

Tonight it is back to math and swim team, tomorrow night it is my turn to take BubTar to swim team, and Saturday is that endangered creature known as a Free Day! Whatever will we DO? We should probably rest a bit, because next week we add in KayTar's day camp and BubTar's VBS to this crazy schedule!

16 comments:

ewe are here said...

Sounds like a great experience at the Children's Hospital... they're lucky to have you volunteering there!

Jaden Paige said...

Congrats on pulling through your schedule so wonderfully! Your experience at the Children's Hospital sounds great... I know if I was one of those parents, I would have been grateful you were around :) Hope your next four weeks go as smoothly for you!

moplans said...

having been through the ER gives you such insight into the needs of families. they hospital is so lucky to have you.
I enjoy that you are worried about your classmates.

Beck said...

Good stuff! I'm so glad that you're there for families who need you.

Becca said...

Busy but sounds like fun! I am happy to hear you sounding so upbeat.

carrie said...

Wow - you are one busy lady! And I know that nurse was right, I *know* those patients were on the receiving end of your grace, compassion and thoughtfulness.

You are so kind. :)

sheree said...

sounds like you guys have an exciting summer ahead of you! :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the footwear ;)

I didn't realize both parents were taking classes- you guys are officially nuts; you know, in that perfectly cool way!

Bon said...

i feel almost relaxed hearing what you guys are doing.

and yeh, i think you must be an incredible gift to that ER, Kyla.

alejna said...

Wow, you guys are a busy family.

I really admire you for doing that volunteer work. You are making a difference in people's lives in so many ways. (You rock!)

And I hope the foot issue gets resolved. I used to wait tables, and then worked in retail, and I remember the first few days as being agonizing in the foot department. Somehow, the feet get used to it, though. But maybe this is why, to this day, I always opt for comfortable shoes. (Yes, I am a fashion plate.)

painted maypole said...

wow. it sounds, though, like good busy.

InTheFastLane said...

It does sound good/busy.
I have spent so much time in hospitals lately, that I wonder why I didn't make that my career.

tierd said...

You have so much energy and do everything you endeavor so beautifully. Glad it was a great first week of summer!

(and we so would have loved having you in the ER last time we were there with graham - it was MISERABLE!)

~aj~ said...

I'm just picturing you and Josh, next to one another in bed, with both your noses crammed in a book. ;) I'm so glad you're not going through it alone. I admire you and Josh both so much for setting these goals!

I'm glad your first ER night went so well. Definitely get you some comfy shoes. Last thing you need is blisters with all the running around you'll be doing this summer!

Woman in a Window said...

I am constantly astounded by you. You and your family are made of special stuff. I could never take on half as much and not go bonkers and yet here you guys are shining.

Julie said...

You have found your calling! Even though you have a million more years of school, this is what you are meant to do! You amaze me.