Friday, February 27, 2009

Big Gym Day!

KayTar participated in the Special Olympics today! They have a young athletes division for kids ages 2-7 and her school district participates in it. When I told her that she was going to ride the bus today, she zoomed around the room dancing and chanting, "I get to ride the BUS! I get to ride the BUS!" Then she stopped, looked at me, and said, "Are you kidding me?" I assured her I wasn't kidding and she went back to her happy dance. Then I told her she was going to go to a very big gym, too, and that made her even more excited. Her first words this morning, while she was still in that twilight state was, "Ohhh, I get to go on the bus to the Big Gym!" It was a very exciting day for her.



She did the bean bag toss (and made all of her tosses, too).





She played a little soccer.



She hit a few baseballs.




She played with the big parachute.



Then she discovered her sport, basketball.



(this one is so blurry, but it was the only one where I caught her signature move, the single leg kick)





Then it was time for some racing.





She talked her aide into taking her back to the basketball hoops!



In this picture she is telling the station attendant that he is supposed to be guarding her.



So he did as requested.



And she scored!



All in all, it was a really wonderful experience for her and I'm sure she'll be talking about it for weeks to come!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! You can really see the excitement on her face!

The New Girl said...

That's awesome! I love her expressions.

sheree said...

how sweet is that lil' kaytar?! What a fun day!

:)

Anonymous said...

I love that signature move! Looks like if you and Josh don't already have a hoop in the driveway you'll be getting one :-)

Anonymous said...

Go KayTar Go! I love the pictures - esp her face in the last one - so excited!!! What a fun day!!

Gretchen said...

Oh my gosh, this was probably the best day of her whole life so far. What fun--and the pictures are marvelous catching all that excitement KayTar had! YAY!!

*** happy dance happy dance ***

Kristin said...

What a great day!!! Looks like she had a total blast!!! Easton would have too. How fun and what a special special time, so glad you got to watch to bring us these pictures!!

Becca said...

What fun!! Love the one of the guy guarding her!

Anonymous said...

i love where she tells him to guard her.

alejna said...

It looks like she had a blast! Those are some great shots. (Both your photos and KayTar's moves!)

Chickenbells said...

How fun! I was an official hugger at the winter Special Olympics here in AZ one year when I was in college, and I still think it's one of the greatest things I've ever participated in!

Bon said...

she just charmed the shit out of me. and i too have a signature leg kick! i can't promise her that it's generally the makings of a star athlete, but it's made me a very memorable dancer. ;)

Julie said...

How adorable is she? I love the single leg kick!!!!

Anonymous said...

She's a cutie pie.

Anonymous said...

Posts like this do an old-therapist's-heart good!

Thank you, Kyla!

I love that SO is organized to provide both competition and success.

Barbara

Woman in a Window said...

Nothing is going to stop that girl! Big bus and all, very exciting.

Laura said...

What a wonderful and perfect day! Great photos! WOW. Thank you for sharing!

What a special little gal!

CityStreams said...

She is adorable. Did she really tell him to guard her? Too funny! You did a great job of photo-journaling the event!

Magpie said...

Awesome.

I also love that the prior post was all about the good ped visit, and this one is all about the motor skills!

flutter said...

she makes my heart happy

Gwen said...

I love how all those pictures show so clearly her joy. She is one darling little peanut.

Amy Y said...

How fun!!

Stimey said...

She is absolutely adorable! And obviously had a ton of fun!

~aj~ said...

The leg kick is my FAVORITE! Not only is she scoring points...she's looking good while doing it! :)

Such a fun day!!!

crazymumma said...

oh my god oh my god oh my god she is so freakin cute!