Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Monkeying around

Yesterday morning I was feeling especially silly and decided to give all of KayTar's instructions in a mixture of monkey-speak and sign language (when she needed a bit more cuing). It went like this:

Me: (hand her her shoes) OOOO-OOO-aaa-aaa!

K: Mooooom, you NOT a monkey.

Me: OOOO-OOO-aaa-aaa-AAAA!

K: Mom, talk in your own voice!

Me: Ooooo-OOOO-aaaa!

K: Mom, are you just joking? (slightly concerned that I might actually be morphing into a monkey)

Me: (nodding and smiling) OOO-OOOO!

K: Ohhh! Okay.

Then she marched off to put her shoes on, just like I had requested. The rest of the getting ready routine was surprisingly easy to communicate using only monkey sounds and a touch of sign. Then she went back to tell me, "You NOT a monkey!" So I started switching up the animal sounds.

K: You NOT a monkey!

Me: Baaaa-baaa!

K: You NOT a sheep!

Me: [elephant trumpeting noise]

K: You NOT a elephant!

Me: Bark! Bark!

K: You NOT a dog! Penny is the dog!

Me: Meoooow.

K: You NOT a cat! Peanut is the cat!

Me: Neeeeigh!

K: You NOT a horse!

Me: Mooooooo!

K: You NOT a cow!

And so on and so forth until I ran out of animal noises and she asked me to go back to my own voice. I got a kick out of it, but I wasn't sure how much she enjoyed it. She giggled, but seemed to hold on to that underlying anxiety that I had some sort of underlying health condition that was turning me into an amorphous animal.

After school, I asked her, as always, "What was the best part of your day?" Usually she says, "Playing princesses in Ms. G's class (her inclusion class). This time she answered, "Making animal noises with you at home, Mom." and gave me a big hug.

And that was the best part of my day.

19 comments:

InTheFastLane said...

Being silly with the kids makes my day too.

Jennifer said...

I did sort of the same thing with Doc except I asked him to make the animal sounds. I really stumped him when I asked him to make a sound like a giraffe. He just sat there. I told him "good job", because for all I know he was correct in keeping quiet. Do giraffes make sounds?

Larissa said...

That was so sweet! Lana and I play around like that at home a lot, too. A sense of humor is a good thing to have :)

ewe are here said...

Awwwww...her favorite part of the day.

Mine also love animal noises... and we have lots of songs where they get to do lots of animals.

Becca said...

Too funny! Sometimes I forget that being silly can get things done a lot faster than the firm voice!

Anonymous said...

Aw, I love that. So sweet!

Jaden Paige said...

Awww... so fun!

Amy Y said...

You're such a fun mom!

carrie said...

You could blog in monkey and I would not complain!

:)

RazzberryMomma said...

So sweet! I love that she said it was her favorite part of the day. Must have busted your heart wide open with mommy bliss!

alejna said...

Mooo.

How great that you made each other's day like that.

Anonymous said...

You're both as sweet as can be.

painted maypole said...

love it!

~aj~ said...

That made me smile from ear to ear. I foresee some monkey talk in my immediate future!

flutter said...

that is so cute!

Woman in a Window said...

Frig! I love this!

Chaotic Joy said...

Ahhh. Lovely. When I take the time to stop what I am doing and be silly with The Weekids, I am amazed at how much fun I have. Good for you!

Tara Bennett said...

Oh... that would be the best part of my year! So sweet.

kristi said...

Awwwwwwwwww........too cute!