Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hi. I'm Kyla from the paper.

There is something surreal about finding out you are in statewide newspapers before you have even had a chance to blog your own story!

Surreal.

So, yes. Yesterday, I did. I spoke at the Capitol in front of legislators and reporters. And I didn't die. The woman who was supposed to go first asked if I would go first, just to be sure "blood didn't start coming out of my ears or [I] didn't drop dead". Luckily for us both, that didn't happen. It was the most amazing experience. Everyone I had the pleasure of meeting was just wonderful. It was a good feeling to be surrounded by people who believe in the same things, everyone working together towards these very important changes. Everyone, even the Senator who was present, spoke with me afterwards, shook my hand, shook their heads at the injustice of it all, and told me I did well.

And today? I did it again, here in my town, in front of different cameras and our State Representatives. And as I introduced myself to someone, she said, "Oh! You're Kyla from the paper!" and that is how I discovered I made the paper today, not only our local paper, but papers all over our state. It is really quite overwhelming and amazing at the same time. The story is getting out there and that is what is important.

I can't thank you all enough for the support. Really, I don't think I could have ever done this without all of you standing behind me. So thank you.

34 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yeah! I'm glad it went well.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't realize you spoke here today. Awesome, Awesome!!

Off to check my paper when I get home :)

I am so, so proud of you Kyla!!
Be the voice, create the change!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Kyla.
I proud of you! Way to go, girl!

amanda said...

I am so glad it went well. Congratulations!

Run ANC said...

Awesome!

Becca said...

Wow, awesome! How fortuitous that the paper was accidentally delivered here today. I will go look at it!

mommamia said...

I'm glad it went. Well I'll check our paper when I get home.

Chickenbells said...

I knew it would go well...I can't wait to see them act fast and help everyone that needs it!

cinnamon gurl said...

Awesome!

Janet said...

Your voice carries far and wide. Shout it out, Kyla.

Family Adventure said...

I am SO PROUD of you! Impressed, too. Way to go!

Now, let's cross fingers that changes will happen. And soon.

Heidi

Christine said...

YAY Kyla from the PAPER! I'm so happy for you and ridiculously proud.

It's time for some change. Let's hope it comes.

NotSoSage said...

I'm so totally, totally impressed and chuffed and excited for you, Kyla.

You are taking matters into your own hands and making a difference for others at the same time. It's just amazing.

Unknown said...

oh kyla--you are fighting the good fight and i am so impressed with you!

keep fighting. . .

~aj~ said...

Kyla, that gave me chills! Such big things are happening and I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the beginning.

I propose that someone creates "Team Kyla" t-shirts. I'd buy one in every color!!!

natalie said...

YOU did it!!!

I'm so proud of you, Mama Bear. So proud.

kittenpie said...

I"m so glad it went well and may it keep gathering momentum until it pushed its way through the doors of the legislature and forces them to take notice and action, both. It's ridiculous that I keep saying how poroud I am of you, but I just can't stop the swelling in my chest and the weling in my eyes when I think of this. Hugs, Kyla, for a job well done.

Beck said...

GOOD WORK, KYLA!

Anonymous said...

OH sweet woman, you inspire us all to do great things!

Ben and Bennie said...

I am so very proud to have you as a friend! You are one awesome parent and a hero to many. Kyla, soak up that wave of good stuff but never trust a politician. For those cats that want pictures with you, make damn sure they are gonna do something right for a change.

Mimi said...

You continue to amaze me, Kyla Well done.

Aliki2006 said...

I'm glad it went well! Hooray for you...I'm so proud to know you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it all went so well. What a great thing. And how wonderful that so many papers picked up the story. Yay, you!

flutter said...

Do you know how blessed your kids are to have you?

painted maypole said...

yay!!!! your voice is being heard!!!!

Woman in a Window said...

I find myself crying...Crying? Yes, crying, for your success. Good on you!

motherbumper said...

So proud of you and always behind you Kyla - always.

ewe are here said...

I'm thrilled it went so well.

Well done!

PJ said...

Now we get to say, "Oh, I read Kyla's blog back when she wasn't famous or well-known at all."

Great job!!

PJ said...

P.S. Have you googled yourself??? Just first and last name and health care. There are multiple articles online!!! Way to go!

Katie said...

just adding to the love =)

Karianna said...

I am so glad you didn't die. How exciting that thanks to you, there will be others that also don't die.

And I googled it: OMG, you are so famous! ;-)

Girlplustwo said...

Hi Kyla. You make those papers look good.

am beyond happy for you.

crazymumma said...

Uh Kyla. Thank you.

Now move to Canada.