1. BubTar started running a fever on Sunday and he had a sore throat, headache, and body aches. We went to the pediatrician Monday, thinking it was strep and we were right! He was absent Monday and Tuesday, and he was none to pleased about returning to school today.
2. I had my first Biology exam on Monday and suspect that I did very well on it. I love the feeling of taking an exam and knowing the material so well that I know my answer before I ever look at the multiple choice options.
3. I'm a little bored with the Internet right now. Weird, right? Somehow this doesn't keep me from spending too much time on it daily.
4. My Chemistry class has me wondering if it is possible to drop dead of boredom. It isn't the material, but the way it is presented. Professors, take note, simply writing on the chalkboard isn't enough to keep your students awake and engaged! At least, it isn't enough for THIS student. I look forward to lab, but lecture is an exercise in keeping my eyelids from slamming shut.
5. The weather here is lovely today. LOVELY! Today, KayTar may not risk heat stroke by insisting, as she always does, to change into long sleeves and pants the instant she gets home from school.
6. KayTar's feeding situation has vastly improved since we discovered a few months ago that she likes to eat her foods FROZEN. We buy pre-cooked foods, like chicken nuggets, and she eats them straight from the freezer. Some days she'll eat as many as SIX nuggets for lunch. If we cook them? She nibbles at one, perhaps. She still gets tube feeds, especially in the morning before school, but she is eating more real (yet frozen) food.
7. She is getting her 6 year molars and it is terrible. She never had trouble teething as a baby, but these molars are really hurting her. Last night we woke up around midnight and couldn't sleep from the pain. I gave her Ibuprofen and put her in bed with me and eventually she dozed off. The other day she grabbed her face and was crying, because it hurt to smile! Poor kid.
8. (knock on wood) She's been back on the name brand Pediasure consistently since her last episode and she hasn't had one in 69 days. Is it related? Who knows, but we'll take it!
9. Friday I volunteered at the kids' school, working in the library. I enjoyed myself quite a bit and discovered that organizing bookshelves can be somewhat of a zen experience. I stayed for the duration of KayTar's school time and then we went out for lunch and shopping (we were searching for a rolling backpack for KayTar). I invited BubTar's best friend to spend the night with us, so we had company in the afternoon, and we also had dinner with my parents. It was a relaxing and enjoyable day, which was exactly what I needed.
10. KayTar has begun going to first grade for reading group. They still haven't finished her reading test, but she is WELL above a first grade level, this much they know. (she demonstrated as much by reading my Biology index cards to everyone in the pediatrician's waiting room, "Phosphorus, carbohydrate, enantiomer isomer, protein...can you give me a tricky one, please?") However, because she is just a little Pre-K kid, they don't want to move her up too quickly due to the social and behavioral expectation in the higher level classes, though next semester they might move her to second grade for reading. She is THRILLED that she gets to go to first grade and that she gets her own reading folder with homework in it. She cried on Friday when she discovered she didn't get homework on the weekend. She has also been announcing that she is a FIRST GRADER to anyone who will listen. Yes, this includes strangers in the checkout line at the grocery store or anyone who might make eye contact with her.
That girl makes me laugh, I can picture her announcing FIRST GRADE to everyone (G does the same thing and right now she's telling everyone she's going to be FOUR in a couple of weeks). Also I'm finding the internet very boring of late also. Hmmmm maybe we need to kick something up ;)
Frozen chicken nuggets, eh? Mine eats frozen peas (and raw rice).
Interesting theory onthe Pediasure. We started supplementing my son's diet with Pediasure in April and he hasn't had an episode since either. There may be something to that.
I'm glad your K. is doing well. Frozen foods are a hit here as well (and personally, I'm the same way). Veggies and fruit, in particular -- just about all kinds of each. Maybe it's the heat?
A chemist friend tells me that generics are much more chemically derived than name-brands... and that the labels are not always true to what is inside.
To add to the 'who knows why' pile... our Kate had the runs pretty much nonstop for, um, her whole life. Her wise old teacher said it was juice and crystal light drinks (long story why this was the case with her drinks) -- anyway, we switched to Gatorade at age 3. Diarrhea episodes GONE. I'm just chalking it up to random chemicals. Who knows?
SO glad to hear Kaytar is eating better! That's awesome.. and I know I say this all the time, but what a little smarty she is!
I can So picture KayTar walking around telling random strangers about her 1st grade experiences. She is such a hoot...especially in her turtlenecks. ;)
I'm glad BubTar felt good enough for school today, even if HE wasn't so glad about it.
I've also been finding myself bored with the net as of late. What's with that???
i hated chemistry in college. it nearly put me into a permanent coma.
and first grade?! wow that kid is super smart!
glad bubtar is feeling better.
I am dying over the frozen nuggets. KayTar is a piece of work for sure!!
frozen nuggets, I mean, why didn't you think of that sooner? :P
I want to know how you figured out the frozen nugget deal...
The reading blows my mind!!
Ditto on the internet, guess we're growing old, I mean, up ;)
i hear you. ;)
the frozen thing is fascinating. my brain - and i'm sure yours - is ticking that over and over, wondering "texture? temperature sensitivities? saturn in retrograde?" anyhoo, if she's eating, she's eating. that's great. as is the pediasure situation.
on the reading, i'm smiling imagining her.
I am kinda with you on #3. Don't know why.
frozen? Interesting. A texture of temp thing?
Hahah KayTar is awesome. I was very much like her in my obsession with reading... my evil sister once dressed me in suspenders and glasses and I was forever called the Book Nerd. And I love love loved reading class. Still wish I were in one...
Post a Comment