Sunday, August 28, 2011

Making Play-Dough!

Last Sunday, KayTar and I made some pink play-dough with an online recipe a friend shared with me. I'm not a crafty-type, but it seemed simple enough. The hardest part of the whole thing was finding cream of tartar! I seriously couldn't find it in the store, so I just stole/borrowed a little from my mom's pantry. Making it was so simple (we made some purple today!), and the play-dough was so soft and fun, I thought I would share the recipe here! You get a pretty good yield from just one batch (it fills two of these little tupperware containers).






1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
And the food coloring of your choice!

Put it all into a pot and stir it together, then cook it over medium heat until it globs together.

Once it congeals, drop it out onto wax paper to cool, then knead it a few times as it cools. 

 Once it cools, it is ready to be stored or played with!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we have! :)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I usually just lurk around here as I find that I always run out of time to comment on all the posts I want to comment on. Anyway, for future reference, the Cream of Tartar is only a preservative and just makes the playdough store a bit longer. Next time if you don't have it, don't worry about it. It still works wonders!

I find the playdough doesn't last that much longer with it to make enough of a difference to keep it in the recipe. Then again, I make this for a preschool classroom so for home use, it might work better. But, it's not necessary in making a difference in the texture of the playdough.

Kyla said...

Thanks Jennifer! That is good to know. I used up our last bit of pilfered cream of tartar on today batch, so now I won't worry about it if we decide to make more before I get some!

Magpie said...

a drop or two of essential oil is nice too, for the smell. i like homemade playdoh because i hate the smell of the real thing.

~aj~ said...

This is the recipe that we've been using. Love it!