Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Back to school!

My summer semester started last night. 3.5 hours of Trig per night, 3 nights a week...with roughly 2 hours of homework each day. Are you jealous? Last night I was the person in class with the ANNOYING cough. I hate being that person. At the first break, I even went and took my puffer a little bit early and while it relieved the tightness, it didn't kick the cough. I had an asthma attack on Saturday night and since then I've been requiring my albuterol around the clock again, along with the Symbicort...I'm still not symptom-free, though. This morning I woke up and I'm pretty congested, so I guess all of this is just a precursor for another chest cold. BOO! What has happened to my lungs?! They used to be terrible, but I kind of outgrew all of it over the years, then this last cold/bronchitis set me back all those year. I'm not thrilled with this development. Anyway, I digress...back to school...

The plan for this summer was to take Trig for the 1st 5 weeks, then follow it with PreCal for the 2nd 5 weeks, but I changed my mind. We need a little bit of a break this summer after our Spring semester (I was in class M/W nights. Josh was in class T/Th nights. I volunteered at the hospital after class on Monday nights and didn't get home until about 1:30am. I had class on Saturdays from 7:30am-3:30pm. It was intense.) so I decided to drop PreCal and take an 8-week online Lit and Film class with Josh instead. It will mean that I don't have to go to class for FIVE GLORIOUS WEEKS this summer. I'll get to go to BubTar's basketball practices and games, we'll get to plan a vacation, we'll get to eat dinner together. It will be lovely!

In other news, we bought the boy a basketball goal this weekend. This will be his first experience playing a team sport, and he has little to no experience with it, so we thought it would be nice to have somewhere for him to practice at home. I'm excited because I LOVE basketball...if only it weren't so hot that we can only stand to play for 10 minutes at a time! We are SO not sports people in this house. We watch ZERO sports at home, we played ZERO sports ourselves...but we want BubTar to have the opportunity to try a lot of things and find his own niche. I have to say that after swim team last summer and the heat stroke we risked by attending practices and meets, we were really, really, really hoping that he would pick and INDOOR sport this summer, and he did! Success! Or should I say "Swish!"?



9 comments:

natalie said...

Swish, indeed!! I can't wait to see how BubTar progresses with basketball!

~aj~ said...

Gorgeous photos! I'm eager to see what BubTar thinks of basketball. It's a big deal at our house. ;)

You're going to have a great summer. And I want to hear more about these vacation plans!

painted maypole said...

lit and film sounds way better than pre-calc. ;) I did calculus in High School. I'm sure I learned something there... but i can pretty much promise you I've never used it. then again, I majored in theatre. ;)

Chaotic Joy said...

I haven't been here forever. I didn't even recognize the place. I am sorry you are still fighting illnesses abut I applaud your decision to take a little summer downtime. Even superwoman needs a break from time to time. I miss coming here. I'll try to be back more often.

Julie said...

Great summer plans! Yay for more family time!

Christine Theriault Burke said...

Honey, you make me laugh! I know you're not sports people, so this may help you when talking to other parents - it's a basketball net, not a goal, goals are for sports on the ground like soccer, hockey, etc. But I love that you put it that way - you are adorable! And I'm a math teacher, so I would actually enjoy the precal class :) but that's a good one to take once you are recharged. Good call!

Kyla said...

LOL! Well, I've always heard it called a basketball goal...in PE classes, ect. Of course, we also call it a hoop, net, and so on. Maybe it is regional thing that people also call it a b-ball goal? I was in b-ball camp a couple summers as a kiddo and they would tell us to run toward the goal or whatever.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Glad you re-worked your summer schedule for more good old fashioned summer off with your family. I hope you enjoy it and can't wait to hear about it!

sheree said...

I am glad to hear you'll have a little 5-week break. That is much needed, I am sure! I am signed up for two online classes for fall. I just can't bring myself to avtually get up and out of the house again so BRAVO to you!