Friday, August 22, 2008

And on the fifth day, he was absent.

He made it through school yesterday, but as soon as he got home his fever started snaking up the thermometer, each time I checked it, it was a bit higher. He spent the afternoon curled up snugly in our big bed with ice water and cartoons. His only requests were, "Can you get me some fresh ice? This isn't very cold on my throat." And "Can you please come snuggle with me? I can't get comfortable without you." I find it delightfully easy to parent a mildly ill child, illness hastening the return of that infantile stage in which they only want their base needs met, thirst, hunger, and cuddly comfort. No arguing, no boredom, they are simply pleased that you fetch them cold ice water and hold them close enough that they can relax and drift to sleep easily.

When the kids are sick, Josh volunteers to sleeps on the couch so they can have the comfort of our great big comfy bed and the benefit of having me within arms reach, and so I can hear their fevered whimpers or painful sobs without racing up the stairs to get to them. Last night, BubTar and I were watching television together and he turned away from it, curling into my side and closing his eyes. I said, "Are you ready for bed?" and he said, "No, I think I should just close my eyes a little." So I fetched his medicine and by the time I got back to him he was nearly asleep, my poor sick boy with the pink cheeks and sleepy eyes. I curled up with him again and stroked his feverish forehead and he was asleep before I could even blink. I tucked him in and snuck out of the room for a bit. An hour later Josh, who cannot detect any but a raging fever, called me into the room, concerned about his very hot little head, which had likely jumped from a 102 to a 103. He was beginning to sweat, though, his fever finally getting to the breaking point and as we hovered near he slowly began to feel cooler. We both slept through the night, for me this first time in a week.

Today he's home from school, too sick for school, but not quite sick enough to need to see the doctor, existing in the land of ice water, cartoons, and spontaneous napping. Feeling well enough to be hungry, but too sick to actually sit up and eat the toast he's asked for. He was cool this morning, but his fever is working its way up again, 100, 101, 102. We're playing the quarantine game again, KayTar in the living room, BubTar in the bedroom, me pingponging between the two. When things get quiet enough I sneak back to check on him, brush his hair off his hot little forehead, rest my hand on his chest and feel his fervent little heart pounding inside his small furnace of a body, hoping that soon he'll feel good enough to run and play again, far too busy and too healthy to need the quiet comfort of his mother's arms.

21 comments:

S said...

Oh, look at those pink cheeks. Sigh. At least it's the weekend, and he can recover by Monday...

Becca said...

Poor little guy! What a trooper for making it through yesterday at school. I hope the quarantine does the trick for stopping it in its tracks!

flutter said...

oooof, those cheeks!

Junie's Blog said...

You called it. Poor Bubtar. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Amy Y said...

Poor lil guy ~ hope he's back to normal soon!

Mad said...

Yes, there is something almost reassuring to us as parents when we care for mildly ill children, this sense of intimacy and blithe accomplishment. Still, hopes that the fever falls and that all the other occupants of the house are spared.

Gwen said...

Oh no! I sent my get well vibes way too late, obviously.

Kristin said...

Awwww, poor Bub. I hope KayTar stays healthy!

Avonlea said...

Awwww, poor little guy. Yeah, giving our little one cuddly comfort when he's mildly sick is comforting to me, too. Though it does make it hard for me to let DH stay home with him while I go to work, because he wants Mom, of course. So, I usually end up staying home on the day he's worst sick.

Katie said...

Oh no, poor guy! Liv had a touch of the sickies today too.

Anonymous said...

Oh why do their poor little cheeks get so red.
Poor baby. I hope the rest of you stay healthy!
Love, Cori

Julie said...

Oh poor little guy! Here's praying it doesn't spread.

painted maypole said...

oh, what a sweet mommy you are.

and josh is no fool, the sleep on the couch is much better if there's a kid in the bed. ;)

crazymumma said...

oh I love and hate that vulnerability...

Funny how the kids are always going to mum when they are sick huh. Its always mum.

~aj~ said...

I certainly hope he's back to his playful self again soon. In the meantime, you enjoy those cuddles Mama. They are so, so special.

kittenpie said...

Do you, like me, often get the bug next? It has to be pretty dire for me to want to sleep with pumpkinpie because of that, so I'm thinking you are being one brave mama. But yes, when they want your comfort, it is so nice to be able to give it.

Aliki2006 said...

Poor, poor, kid. I hope the sixth day brings rest and no fever.

InTheFastLane said...

It figures, doesn't it. but, I know what you mean about the peacefulness and the no arguing.

Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

Oh no, it got worse!

Bree slept with me last night. Feverish and whimpering!

Today the hack is a little better and no fever ...yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

PJ said...

Aaah. He's so cute with the pink cheeks...and cuddly too??? Bless his little heart, hope he feels better soon!

Ali said...

argh...schools are so stinkin' germy. hope he's all better!!