Monday, April 23, 2007

The week that was...

I can't tell you how much I haven enjoyed the week of blogging for BubTar. It was nice to have a break from the norm and focus on my little man for a while. He's such an amazing and fun little guy. Life continued as normal...KayTar induced worrying, I took part in worrying, there was hand wringing, of course. Things are better, but I'll catch you up anyway.

She was sick, which you already know. Fever, vomiting, diarrhea, snotty face. She never did the complete refusal of fluid (yay!), although she did put the kibosh on food for a while, which we can totally live with. The vomit and diarrhea stopped on Wednesday night. I think the vomiting was just KayTar's reaction to the feeling of the drainage rather than a component of the actual virus, because in total she maybe threw up 3 times which is about average lately when healthy. Well, because of the lowered input and the increased output (diarrhea) I kept track of her diapers last week. During the week, largely I was just waiting for that next wet diaper to keep us from *whispering* the bad place. As soon as she wet, whenever that was, the clock was reset and we had 12 more hours to give her fluids, ect. Moving along, Saturday Josh had to work, so the kids and I went to the Children's Museum. (Yeah, I took them to the germiest place on Earth. *sigh* But we had fun!) When we got home, I rushed in to change KayTar's diaper because I knew it was about to burst. It had been 6.5 hour since she'd been changed. I pulled off her cute little jeans and found a completely dry diaper. Not even a driblet in there. Nothing. And I was so shocked. 6.5 hours! I'd peed twice in that time. So it caused me to look at her diapers for the week. And it was a trend. She had wet no more than 3 diapers per day (counting her overnight diaper) all week, somedays only 2. She had been going between 6-8 or even up to 10 hours without wetting...and when she did it was minimal at best, not the deluge you might expect after holding it for 10 hours. I hadn't realized it before, because we were living diaper to diaper...but when I looked at the the week as a whole it worried me. I sent the pediatrician a half-worried email, of course. But then Saturday night KayTar turned into a drinking fool and took down 32 ounces! That is insane for her, but wonderful. Wonderfully insane. Yesterday she was peeing like a champ...or rather, like a healthy child. The pediatrician offered to send us in for an outpatient chem7, but thankfully KayTar is back to good. Its nice to know that if this happens again, that is an option so I don't drive myself crazy with the wondering. Unfortunately, I think there is a good chance it might happen again the next time she is sick...it seems that illness, even a minor one like this virus, tend to really do a number on her.

Which brings us to number two, quite literally. Skip this paragraph if poo related topics make you queasy. We stopped KayTar's Miralax earlier in the week because of the diarrhea. I don't think laxative and diarrhea complement each other. We kept her off of it on Thursday, because we weren't sure if she was over it yet, and started her back on it on Friday. Saturday she had to go. But it was stuck. I consider myself fairly accomplished as a Fecal Midwife, but this was too much even for me. I thought her poor bummie was going to burst...or somehow I would have to rush her to the doctor with this lodged the way it was so she could have an episiotomy on the flip side. BubTar caught sight of the situation and put his boots on and ran to the door shouting "We have to take her to the doctor's NOW, Mom!" After five to ten minutes of she and I laboring together, I panicked. It wasn't budging. It was larger on the other side...there was no give. I called Josh at work and asked him to please help. He couldn't help over the phone, of course, so I hung up with him and paged the nurse. Between the time I paged and the time she returned the call, somehow things moved along. I have no idea how it happened, but it did. Her poor bummie was a bit worse for wear, though. It was very painful for her. I'm a bit perplexed as to how to prevent this from happening again. If we don't stop the Miralax, it will make the diarrhea much worse, and we don't need her losing extra fluid. But if we stop it altogether, we end up in a bad place. The minefield that is an illness with KayTar. *sigh*

I wasn't always this obsessive about my children's health, I promise. If you knew me in my other life, you might not recognize me. Tracking diapers and fluids was foreign to me. BubTar had ear infection after ear infection his two years, but it was never serious. He's his fair share of viruses and infections, too. His fever spiked to 105.7 once when he was about two, but that is as far as things ever went. We were calm, we handled things, and things were okay. He's never been in the hospital, not even the ER. He's never even been close to needing IV fluids. We've never had a situation with him that we couldn't handle in a normal manner. The adjustment from a healthy, typical child like BubTar to the wonder that is KayTar has been a bit rough. I spend a good bit of time feeling crazy and neurotic. I actually worry that I'm worrying unnecessarily, but at the same time I know that the things I worry about are actual possibilities. Finding that middle ground is tricky. We will find our groove at some point, I'll have enough experience under my belt to determine what the imminent threats are and what the mere possbilities are. I hope I get to a point where I worry less and know more, a point when everything doesn't feel like shaky ground. I imagine that place exists, and I hope we make it there some day. Maybe one day KayTar will outgrow some of these quirks. Thankfully, we have an amazing pediatrician who doesn't seem to mind walking me through these things...even though I feel awful for always having to bother her. We've really lucked out with finding someone great to help us care for KayTar. I can't imagine not having that support.

Tomorrow, or the next day, BubTar will teach you all how to rollerskate.


And a quick photo of KayTar, I know you've missed her sweet little face. :)


And because OTJ is too kind:
My site was nominated for Best Parenting Blog!

6 comments:

NotSoSage said...

Ooh, I have missed her (but this did in no way contribute to a lack of adoration for the BubTar).

Beck said...

Your kids are beautiful! But you know that.
I'm glad she's feeling better.

Julie Pippert said...

Congrats on the nomination!

I have loved the BubTar tales too...even if I haven't been able to comment as much as I would like.

Sorry about KayTar's sickness and after-effects. I've been down that exact road. I don't think you sound over-focused. I know how that is: such a careful balancing act. You have to pay so much attention. One distraction (like a new baby) and so quickly we went from "fine" to "enema."

If it helps...P has been growing out of it.

nomotherearth said...

"Fecal Midwife" - I've never heard this term exactly in those words, but it's so appropriate, huh?

I've really enjoyed hearing about BubTar, and happy to hear that KayTar was drinking so much!

Kristin said...

You're nice to warn your readers of poo topics. I should think about that but then my whole blog would be one big warning. I LOVE how you call it fecal midwifery. Cracks me up. I had to tell my husband too.

You don't seem neurotic to me but I can understand how you might feel that way. I think you are such a great mom to both your kiddos. Obviously you are because look how good of a brother BubTar is and how far KayTar has come with you. Glad she's better again. For now.

And I'm glad you have a pedi that rocks. I almost want to drive across several states to see her.

jen said...

Sister, every single time i am here my mouth gapes open at how amazing you are.

what a mother. best parenting blog, indeed.